From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:58:56 -0500
M. Bogansky (unfortunately I forget his first name) asked about queens and
related problems that we have heard so much about.  At the ABF convention in
Colorado in January a full two days were spent on this problem.  "A full two
days" means from 9:00am until 9:00pm, all scheduled meetings.  No
conclusions were drawn, but topics covered included: lack of drones;
tracheal mite infections on shipped queens; unusual levels of stress by
constantly moving bees for pollination; mite treatments; pesticides; etc.

Sue Cobey's work at Ohio State with New World Carnolians seems to be having
some beneficial effect on the tracheal mite part of this.  If you would like
more information go to http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/honeybee/breeding
and click on the New World Carnolian section.

Lloyd