From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:07:32 -0400
Waldemar:

>Why think of using something that may affect the bees or end up in your honey?

Nicely put, Waldemar. I was thinking the same thing. I know some people dip
the wooden-ware in hot paraffin but the end result is so ugly I wouldn't do
it for that reason. Ditto on Richard Taylor's idea of creosoting bee boxes.

However, all paint jobs are not equal. Many people neglect to paint the
edges of the boxes and this area of course is not reached by the bees
either. I learned from a painter friend of mine that the edges of exterior
doors are frequently left unpainted (who sees it?) which is pretty stupid
mistake. The unpainted edge acts like a wick for moisture. The door sucks up
dampness and quietly rots away.

Same with bee boxes. Many times I have stuck my hive tool between two nicely
painted supers, only to find the tool going into a rotten spot in the edge
of the box.

I would try to use a high primer. The finish coat is of less concern if the
primer is good. Color is another story. Some prefer all white or silver.
Some like the multi-colored look (see my photo on the October Bee Journal!).

Pete