From:
CSlade777 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:40:43 EDT
Tom,
That was an interesting summary and I thank you for it.  As your summary
contains information I didn't spot on the list I assume some people posted
their information privately.  I wonder why?  Besides clearly being of interest
to you and me there must be many others who would gladly learn more.  There is
so much drivel on this list (some of which is mine) that it is a pity to hide
the nuggets of gold in private e.mails.

Regarding the defensive/aggressive behaviour of bees I gather that this is
partly governed by a number of independently inherited genetic
characteristics.  I suggest reading The Honeybees of the British Isles by
Beowulf Cooper published by the British Isles Bee Breeders' Association or The
Elements of Genetics with special reference to the Honeybee by  Mesquida.
Chris Slade

Our friends across the larger wet bit may have more up to date information in
view of the recent rapid advances in the knowledge of genetic inheritance.