Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:58:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Greetings,

I have been reading with interest the thymol discussion.  Three items bother me somewhat.

I am concerned about using thymol with FGMO all year long as reported in ABJ.  We (in US) just got ourselves a new treatment and before the packages are open it is being suggested to use it in another fashion.  I am not against research, but it is a little early to tell someone, here is another method for a chemical that just made it through the "emergency use" Section 18 government approval process.  Let's use what is approved and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. If another method develops and is thoroughly tested, then by all means go ahead with it, but in due time.

Bill Truesdell wrote:
"In Maine, ApiLifeVar was approved under a Section 18 for Varroa control.
The State Bee Inspector in our State newsletter reminded those who might
use it that while Apistan and Cumophose carry a Caution label, Thymol
carries a Danger label, which means it is highly toxic - only a few
drops to a teaspoon will kill, while Caution takes over an ounce)."

While I do not doubt Bill on reporting this, I cannot for the life of me understand the statement.  Why would I want to use something that is way more toxic than Coumaphos?

The LD50, when orally administered, for thymol is 980 mg/kg.  70 Kg (154 lb) is considered the average wt. of a human for tox testing (although that seems a low for the guys I hang around with, myself included).  This is equivalent to eating about 2.5 ounces (68.6 grams) and closer to 1/4 lb for a 220 lb. person.  Coumaphos has an oral LD50 of 13 mg/kg and a dermal LD50 reported to be 500 mg/kg. While these numbers reflect pure substances, they clearly illustrate that thymol is much less toxic than coumaphos.  (It still should be handled carefully, using gloves.)  IMHO, the use of a Danger statement is incorrect.  In Europe it just barely makes the "Harmful" category.  What am I missing here? If this is more toxic than coumaphos then you might as well shoot me in the shade cause I quit.

Lastly I have to disagree with Bob.  I kinda like the smell of the stuff.  Comparing it to BeeGo, menthol and Checkmite, this is home baked bread. :-)

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2