From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 07:35:19 -0700

> >For me PMS still fits when varroa is involved. I have observed plenty of
> IBDS but always in hives with high varroa load. Nothing new *in my humble
> opinion*.

I watched PMS come and go back in the mid '90's before we learned how to
manage varroa.  But then I observed *similar* symptoms again in 2004-2007,
when CCD hit.  I've been observing again in my operation (see
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-18a-colony-collaspse-revisited/
).

The difference is that I don't necessarily see mites being involved any
more.

> >When IBDS or IAPV starts killing hives in Australia in a country without
> varroa it will get my attention.

Australian beekeepers have been plagued by "EFB" in recent years.  I just
sent a note to an Aussie inspector for more details.  But if there is a
virus involved, it may not be present in Australia.  Not all bee-affecting
viruses are present in all countries--the quarantine laws appear to be
working to some extent.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA