From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:45:25 -0800

> >Again I am refering to the subject of the discussion:"Chemicals in our
> food"

I understand, but perhaps Bee-L is the wrong venue for this discussion.

> >The amount of organophosphate residiue left on the apples is almost none
> existant after 77 days and we were told by a researcher at a apple meeting
> than if peeled would not be detected in the flesh.

Since many of us who eat "whole foods" eat the skins of apples, since that
is where the fruit concentrates the most beneficial nutrients, peeling would
not solve the problem.

In answer to your question (I do attempt to answer your questions), for
actual data about residues in typical apples, see
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003674 or
http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=AP

> >Mullin (2010) found chlorpyrifos (an organophosphate) in 63% of the wax
>>>
>> samples from beehives that he analyzed.
>>
> >Along with hundreds of other chemicals and at what level?

Bob, that is an easily downloadable paper that you can refer to yourself.
 Chlorpyrifos was the most common ag pesticide found,  just below the
frequency of beekeeper applied miticides.  The high level for chlorpyrifos
was 890 ppb.

>  >Please answer this question:
> Why does the Bayer label for orange say to stop use a couple months before
> harvest?

Is this a rhetorical question?  Pesticides that are applied to food crops
all have a pre harvest interval, to minimize consumer exposure to the
pesticide.

>How about this question:
> If the amount of imidacloprid is safe for humans then why not let the
> Florida orange growers use right up till harvest?
>

>*in my opinion* those selling the neonics are going to be fighting a tough
PR problem as consumers learn nicotine at even a low level IS in their food.

Especially if misinformation as in the above sentence is repeated.  The
neonics have different action in mammals than nicotine does!

Randy Oliver