Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:02:22 -0400
> > A non-sequitur. The answer I am looking for involves those who actually
> are pollinating thecanola and whose bee losses can therefore be directly
> attributed to the neonics. It should be a very easy question to answer.
>
> Unfortunately this question reflects such a total misunderstanding of
> beekeeping in Alberta and which beekeepers are operating on treated fields
> and why, that I have no idea where to start, especially when writing on a
> phone.

Interesting. How are pollination services different in Canada ? It is a
fairly simple thing to get who is pollinating Maine Blueberries each year,
so what is different in Canada?

We have many local beekeepers operating near treated blueberry fields, but
only the commercial pollinators get paid. I have no idea how to get the
former, but it is the latter who do all the pollination and get the full
brunt of any bad practices of the grower during bloom. They are easily
identified since money is involved.

If they have problems because of pollinating Canola, then there is no
longer any issue and even seed treatment is a major issue. Canola has been
commercially pollinated for a bit under ten years with Imid and other
neonics present, so there should be some data to show harm.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine