From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:06:46 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:
> In regard to the possible presence of fluvalinate or coumaphous in comb
> honey wax, let's pause, take a deep breath, and understand what is going on
> here.
Good post. I think you are replying to the "never eat wax again"
comment. I have never seen a problem with wax from any of the foundation
suppliers. The concern is with those who do not rotate foundation and
keep it in their colonies forever along with continued application of
cumaphos. Coumaphos has been implicated with reduced queen vitality, so
it seems to make sense to get rid of comb from colonies that were
treated with it.It is an organophosphate and they are know for their
effect on reproduction.

One standard observation from most who rotate comb is how healthy there
bees become after new foundation is introduced. I think you get rid of a
variety of ills, not just pesticide residue.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine