From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:05:36 -0600
> I have three active hives that I gave terramycin patties about a
> month ago.  They have show little intrest in it and most of it still
> remains. My question is, is this the best method for treating for
> foul brood, or is dusting with terramycin mixed with powdered sugar
> a better method?

Dusting is best, followed by syrup and extenders, IMO, anyhow.
Someone is going to say that TM dies fast in syrup. True, but it
works anyhow -- assuming the bees take it fairly quickly.  I don't
know why.

Your choice of methods depends whether you are seeing a bit of AFB
or not.  If so, dusting often will clean it up in a good hive at the
right time of year. Dusting will even deal with some scale -- in the
hands of an expert. But don't try this at home kids.  Not unless you
are sure you know what you are doing.

Extender patties are good to prevent AFB.

All methods are good and all require some powers of judgement and
observation to work well.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>