From:
"Andy Nachbaur (by way of Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 01:06:28 -0800
More HARD SMOKE.... from the beekeeping news group FYI.

Subject: Re: Varroa Mite Resistance
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:43:41 +0100
From: Hugo Thone <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping

MiksaHF wrote:

> >Fluvalinate strips are available in the US  -- it's called Apistan

> >If your section 18 reference  is refering to Miticur, it was removed from
> >the market after a 'bad' batch caused a bee kill - the mfg. who bought (
>>but did not develop) the manufacturing rights, did not want the liability
and
> >withdrew the product.

> >Current work is with a Formic Acid delivery system.

Finally a reasonable explanation.

I have been using Apistan strips since 1989 and  have noticed the
following changes :

        - the strips are thinner now
        - the plastic is more fatty
        - the color of the strips is darker
        - the old strips could be used effectively for 2 -3 years

In Europe we use only two strips per hive as stated on the instruction
label, so I guess you have other strips over there.

Although VITA pretends that there are fluvalinate resistant varroa mites
in the south of Belgium, the strips are still effective where I live
(northern part of the country). (And Belgium is not that big : if you
are standing in most southern point, you can throw a pie in a person's
face in the northern part.   ;-)
Maybe they are making some room for their new product APIGUARD.

Cheers,
Hugo

--
do bee do bee do ...  Hugo Thone (VE144)        email :
       (\             ALCATEL TELECOM           phone : (32) 3 240 94 52