From:
Kris Baert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 11:11:21 +0200
>well I have a hive that started doing this 3 weeks ago with a large pile of bees in the front of the hive, the front of the hive covered with bees to check out the incoming bees - the ones in the hive if you watch them their bodies turn darker, they stagger - the brood looks perfectly normal, nice and white - mite count is low no dwv showing.

Hello Mike,

I've had a hive this year with similar symptoms (and some shivering and paralysis). It started when it was on a canola field at the end of april. I suspected pesticides at first, but other nearby hives did not show these symptoms. I noticed a few 'little blacks' in the hive and started suspecting chronic bee paralysis virus. I have taken some samples, but they are not yet analysed at the moment. The queen and the care for the brood nest was ok, however, so I decided to give them a chance. The condition seemed to kill most of the foragers and I had to feed the hive a lot. Over the next two months, there was a daily mortality of 10-100 bees in front of the hive, but the brood care remained fine (only the older bees affected ?). The hive next to it (at 1.5 m distance) did not get sick (until now).
One month after the start of the symptoms, I decided to separate the brood and the young bees using a separator (a type of snelgrove board). This seemed to work and 3 weeks later I did this a second time. Another 3 weeks later, I removed and killed the bottom box, since it was not able to clear the infection. At this moment, the remaining colony seems to be doing fine with nice brood and a lot of foragers, feeding is no longer necessary.

How long would the frames from this hive remain infective, if it was CBPV ? Could I reuse the frames from the honey box next year ?

Best regards,
Kris
Belgium