From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:01:09 -0500
On 23 Mar 98 at 11:24, Aaron Morris wrote:

> is to wait for the weather to get better.  For northern climes, it's
> better to purchase queens for early splits and wait for more
> favorably weather to raise your own.  There is a very good article
<snip>
> Remember when starting grafts to use very young larvae, less that
> two days old.  I discovered that if I can see it I can't graft it.
> Larva of the proper age are VERY small.

Two points.
Firstly why is it always stated 'to make early splits' when later
splits work just as well? Bearing in mind our later start I make nucs
in late July, and they still make it through the winter!
        Second. Isn't the timing off a bit?. It takes eggs three days to
hatch! Incidently, I use a head set with binnocular magnifying
viewer (for depth perception) and have no trouble using a Chinese
grafting tool (soft tip) to pick them up.
        Finally. I never see mention of cell protectors. Using cell
protectors ensures the survival of emerging virgins. Before she
emerges the cell can and will be broken down, after all with
introduced cells, the bees didn't put them there so they will remove
them.
         We requeen a lot of hives by cell addition. The hive has to have an
old queen (due to supercede) add a cell in a protector in the middle
of the brood pattern, the virgin emerges, safely, mates and takes
over. If you mark your queens then you can tell, one more reason to
mark them all!!

The Bee Works,9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia,Ontario. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone/Fax 705-326-7171