From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:36:10 -0600
?Jerry said:
 The researchers  may
> not agree upon the significance of finding Nosema in virtually all CCD
> operations, but we can agree to it being more common to CCD colonies than
> varroa.

I was on the phone for over an hour with a high up person in the American
Beekeeping Federation. tonight
We covered  quite a few topics. What I find interesting he has never had a
nosema issue and said he only lost four hives out of 280 + hives when he
checked last week. He keeps his hives away from other beekeepers hives in
range country and said his hive kill problems started when he sent hives to
almonds and ended a couple years after he quit going. He only uses thymol
for varroa.

I believe what he says as we have been friends for years but I always remind
my friend how rare his situation is compared to the other commercial
beekeepers I talk to.

I fight nosema ceranae constantly it seems.
I saw the tell tale signs in some hives I looked at today. Hives fed
fumigillin last fall. When I check I always find spore counts high.

It is my opinion based on years of experience that today's fumigillin as per
label (in syrup) only knocks back nosema ceranae for a short period in some
hives. other hives the counts go down and stay down.

When I used the fumigillin drench I had better luck and saw the problem
almost go away but now I am seeing high spore counts and bees going off feed
in early spring again. When checking the problem seems confined to hives
which have not been into the shop as a deadout and given the Clorox
treatment.

I wonder why some operations struggle with nosema issues and others (like my
ABF friend) have no problems. I have moved my yards in full sun but still
see the problem. I am considering returning to a drench for a couple
treatments.

Unlike many I have no varroa issues but it seems nosema ceranae keeps
popping back up.

what are your thoughts Jerry?

The above similar to what others are reporting?

bob