From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 21:54:00 GMT
Today I received a tearful phone call from Dee Lusby (sp) of Tucson,
Arizona to inform me that Jim Smith from Yuma, Arizona passed away this
AM Jan 15, 1997.

She asked me to inform the industry, and I am sure she did not know
that Jim was a long time friend of myself as well as many in the bee
industry and agriculture in general as he was also a good family farmer
as well as a beekeeper.

I will not go into details of his accomplishments in life as I am sure
others who knew him better will take care of that. Personally I knew
him as a fellow commercial beekeeper who shared with me a interest in
bee research, and was quick to share his ideas with me and others.

As a man he was better then most and when my x wife's first husband was
taken early from a heart attack he was the first to offer help in
keeping the family beekeeping business going knowing that a young widow
with 4 small kids would need help.

There is much more but I am not up to it right now, and I hope that
others who know him will not hesitate to add to this tread.

I often wonder as I get older who will be left to remember the good
times in beekeeping as it does seem so unfair that all the beekeeper
in my generation seem to pass on so young. I will miss Jim Smith but
will remember the experiences he shared with me, and the kindness he
showed my family and all beekeepers who were all his friends. I can say
I never heard him express a negative opinion of any of his fellow
beekeepers.
                   I was blessed in knowing him!

                              ttul Andy-
---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ ... Yet, like the bee returning to her queen,