From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:12:01 -0400
> We need to research better ways to control varroa not research PMS. *Shim* could see no cure for PMS and nether do I!

Look at this way: do you worry about ticks? Around here we have a lot of ticks and most folks would consider them a minor annoyance were it not for Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is a viral infection and can cause paralysis, while ticks are ugly little suckers, annoying as hell, but not fatal.

Probably the same is true about varroa. If it were not for the diseases that accompany mites, they might not even kill colonies. They don't kill A. cerana and they can coexist with some strains of A. mellifera and in some regions, depending on climate or other factors.

So really, it is the colony collapse that is the problem, not the mites. We know that high levels of mites are associated with collapse, but we are now seeing collapse with low levels, meaning that even with "better ways to control varroa" the associated brood disorders are a thing themselves that need to be reckoned with.

Further, were it not for the viruses, hives might not collapse in the fall, giving us more time to treat the varroa, say with oxalic after the brood is hatched. If the hives collapse in the fall while they are still full of brood, no chance for that. Finally, if a virus controls are developed, colony collapse may be prevented despite high levels of mites, which could then be knocked back.

By the way, I never met Shim but if he is a true scientist, he is looking at the new stuff, not hanging on to old ideas of what works, what doesn't work, and what is worth looking into.

PLB