From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:13:06 +0000
That begs the question: could there be any effect from the radioactivity or
the substitution of C14 for C12?  I can believe that it might not make much
difference to a mammal, but a synapse in a bee?

To date, no one has shown any problems of any type in this regard.  The C14 behaves exactly like C12 in terms of bonding behavior within a molecule, and so on.

As far as whether C14 radiation would harm the synapse, I believe that the short term of the experiment would override any (unknown and undemonstrated) radioactive effects....the half-life of C14 is too long to be a threat.  The type of radiation (decay characteristics, etc) is not the "deadly sort" such as we see with radioactive iodine isotopes, for example.   In fact, C14 is used in "carbon dating studies"...that's how they do such studies, they examine the ratio between C12 and C14 to calculate how long ago the material in question was "fixed" (formed).  C14 is all around us and in us too, in small quantities.

Perhaps others on this list are more knowledgeable about this?  I'm only reporting what I remember learning about C14.  It's not "my thing", expertise-wise.

Christina