From:
Kevin Horner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2013 08:03:30 -0500
Over here in the UK we have a guy called Mark Greco from Australia, he is doing studies on bee behaviour without opening the hive, he is storing full colonies in poly hives at typical winter temps and then CT scanning the whole hive, this generates a three dimensional image of the internal layout of a hive. The typical winter cluster that is rugby ball shaped is seen to be totally wrong, the bees actually cluster in the shape of an inverted bell under the coverboard.
Excuse this if it is in the wrong place, my first post!!!