From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:51:11 -0800

> >  I wonder if those results are from sterilized combs put on an infected
> colony? If so would expect results. However if (?) treatment kills spores it
> is not clear how they would regenerate?  Comment please.

They were from slightly infected package bees from New Zealand hived onto
combs, some untreated, some sterilized, and most intentionally inoculated
with spores.

The spore counts of ALL colonies exploded initially, then ALL dropped to
very low levels for the rest of the season, save for the occasional spike,
independent of treatment.

One can likely assume that N ceranae spores are ubiquitous, and that any
susceptible colony will be exposed to them.  If there is no apparent
infection it is likely due to normal resistance, rather than lack of
exposure.

The point of the trial results is that treatment of combs from clearly
infected hives is likely of little benefit as far as N ceranae is concerned.
 However, it may be of benefit against other pathogens, as colonies hived on
sterilized combs often perform better when the metric is bee population or
honey production.  My GUESS is that it may have something to do with
viruses.

Randy Oliver