From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:26:05 -0400
Greetings,

One often hears statements like: no pesticides are needed to raise
food, or keep bees, or in general. Some people have had very good luck
raising food, bees, or kids without resorting to modern chemicals or
medicines. The problem comes when they try to project the experience
onto situations other than their own.

For example, in my area if I don't treat for mites, the bees are
overun by September, and most hives die. The presence of large numbers
of commercially run hives no doubt has some influence on the
situation. Agriculture and livestock production can have a profound
effect on native populations of plants and animals as shown by studies
of domesticated bumble bees pathogens spilling over into native
populations

--
Does Pathogen Spillover from Commercially Reared Bumble Bees Threaten
Wild Pollinators?