Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:56:33 -0500
>In recent discussions, formic delivery in Dri-Loc 50 pads came up.  Can
>somebody explain how the pads were prepared, what strength formic, how
>long the treatment lasts and how many applications are needed for a
>complete treatment?  Can't seem to get to any information online.  A
>short description or a link would sure be appreciated.  Thanks.

We discussed this quite a bit a while back.  One link in the archives is:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind9909D&L=BEE-L&P=R3123&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&X=74AC5D5F9E5776EE79

(When searching the archives at http://www.bee-l.org, always select
the "advanced" link, then experiment a bit).

There are illustrations at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2000/diary101000.htm

Note: the technique now calls for 2 pads, side by side, 1/3 from the
back of a double brood chamber.

Average temperatures expected over the next few days should ideally be
15 to 25 degrees C. (60 to 75 degrees F) as I recall, but Medhat or Randy
may jump in and correct me on that detail, since this dose is higher
than previous recommendations and is aimed at fall treatment.

Morning application may be a good idea in order to get consistent results.
Bottom entrances are left open, but top entrances will affect the
concentrations and should be closed, as should other large cracks and holes.
Bees can ventilate quite a bit through fairly small holes.

I checked through the 15 pages of our 2011 recommendations and could
find no information on this current recommended use of formic.

The reason for applying in a specific temperature range is that hot weather
will cause more rapid evaporation and perhaps an overdose, and cool
weather will result in too slow a release to accomplish much.

Since each beekeeper's equipment and management may vary, the way
to proceed is to do a limited test, watch the temperatures, then check for
efficacy and for brood or bee damage.  That will determine future dosing
and temperature decisions.  Populations and other factors discussed in
recent messages will have an impact on efficacy.

Within that band of temperature, 65% formic should not cause damage and
should have a strong impact on both varroa and tracheal mites.  Below
55 degrees F, the bees tend to cluster and this reduces efficacy, even
if evaporation occurs.