From:
BRIAN HENSEL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:16:08 -0800
Allen Dick wrote:

> > Your brother has given you good advise regarding the use of oils for the
> > treatment of mites.  I have been performing research with mineral oil
> > with excellent results for the last 17 months.  I have posted several
> > files to this list about my work with Food Grade Mineral Oil...
>
> Hello Dr. Pedro and everyone...
>
> Two items: Your recent post to BEE-L, and questions on the current
> progress of your mite studies...
>
> I am also curious how tests for both tracheal and varroa mites currently
> turn out in your apiaries and also in your locality  -- in your neighbors'
> non-treated hives.  I recall that in the early stages there were control
> hives and that they perished.  I am wondering if controls have been
> re-instututed to compare treated with untreated hives?
>
> I' m hoping you can find time to bring us all up to date, and perhaps give
> us an idea on where you expect to go from here.  Perhaps you need some
> volunteers to try your methods on a larger scale and in different
> localities.  In that case there are many different participants here and
> perhaps some may volunteer to do some test in their own locality under your
> advisement.
>
> Best Regards
> Allen

HI ALLEN,AND DR.PEDRO RODRIQUEZ AND BEE LINERS!!!
ALLEN brings up a good question about others using Dr. Rodriquezes
methods for mite control. I can tell about my personal experiences here
in California, that I have been following Dr. Rodriquez and his very
important research, and have implemented them. I have used the MO for
the past year religiously. I have other friends that are continuing to
use Apistan, because they are afraid to try something new.
    The closest beekeeper in my town has had a continuing infestation of
varroa, and he has used Apistan. When I did an ether roll last month I
did find one varroa, but this month has turned up 0 mites. I have also
checked out several drone cells and there were no varroa found in about
25 cells inspected, when there were still drones present.
    I would be interested in others who have tried MO to respond to this
list to hear of their experiences. I have heard others say they were
going to try it but have not heard the results.
    Dr. Rodriquez has helped me considerably and I owe him great
gratitude and appreciation for his work. I know that this time a year
ago I was trying to save a dying sick hive and now this year I have
several very healthy prosperous hives. I have also fed Fumidel-B for
Nosema, because of the El-Ninio effects of continuos rain we have
received this year. So far no  problems.

BRIAN HENSEL
MONTE RIO CALIFORNIA