From:
Warren Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:34:54 -0600
Much (most?) of the honey produced on the Canadian prairies (at least in
Manitoba) comes from canola as other crops such as clover and buckwheat
continue to decline.  We are surrounded with canola (approximately 5000
hectares within 3 kilometers of our place in 1998) therefore our bees are
proficient in the collection of nectar from canola.  I have never had a
problem with it crystallising in the comb, but have been told to watch out
for this.  As long as the honey is removed in a timely manner (last year I
extracted around August 15) there should be no problem.  The trick is to not
wait until the frames are totally capped over.  As long as 1/2 of the frame
is capped we extract and have never had problems with moisture content.  If
it does crystallise I would save it to feed the bees in spring.  Bees fed
canola honey over the winter months here die of starvation.

Warren Otto