Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:47:39 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
"Theories do not become laws, even if that is what many of our science teachers taught us for years."

Good point. I like that Wikipedia explanation. My intention was simply to re-state, as many have done here many times, that one study does not and can not lead to a conclusion. Even 10 studies may not lead to any conclusion....although they can help strengthen or refute a theory.

Theories have differing weights. So, for example, the debate over creationism vs. evolution is a non-starter for most scientists, since the *weight of evidence* is overwhelming for evolution and weak, at best, for creationism.
Laws do tend to be mathematical and based in physics. Physical laws often apply to physiology...Bernoulli's equation describes blood flow behavior in the vascular system pretty well, for example, and I use Ohm's Law constantly in teaching physiology of different body systems. I refer to "laws" as irrefutable, at least within the scale they apply to. So, Newton was right, but Einstein was more comprehensive. And even Einstein is falling short at the grander scale....as far as I understand it, being an amateur fan of large-scale physical phenomena.
Christina

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2