From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:00:55 -0700

> > USDA numbers suffer from serious lack of participation, with those who
> are more successful being more likely to avoid them.  The ones most likely
> to do the surveys here are the hobby people,  which again skews the data to
> the horrible (see below)  They are so excited to be part of a "group"  they
> glady fill out the surveys.

Those doing the USDA survey are well aware of this, and doing the best they
can do avoid these problems.  I spent some time with one of the USDA
statisticians last week, explaining the problems with the survey,, and he
was not only not surprised, but he was all ears and eager to improve the
methodology.  Perhaps if we beekeepers spend more time in educating those
involved, we could get a more representative survey..

> >I also suspect that the form of Varro they have may have a play in this,
> but have been unable to verify the geographical differences between
> Destructor and Jacobsoni.  They have had and have been dealing with mites a
> tad longer and it shows.

It's *destructor*.  And from what I hear, professional beeks in some
European countries are dependent upon the same smuggled miticide that many
US beeks use.  However, as you say, they are ahead of us, and many are
using more sustainable methods.

> > The evidence is quite solid that we need to restrict antibiotic use in
> all livestock."
> >I disagree completely with that statement.    We could debate it at
> nausea like many topics,

Not interested in debating.  You may wish to read
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-drug-resistant-bacteria-travel-from-the-farm-to-your-table/

As far as I can see the Big Picture is that we humans may soon run out of
effective antibiotics able to treat run of the mill infections.  Even a
slight wound or infection may again become a death sentence.  I'd rather
pay more for meat (actually, I already do, buying it locally).

> >A SEVERE shortage of good qualified old school large animal vets out her
> in AG country.

I'm in complete agreement that this was poorly handled, both for livestock
and for beekeepers.  We needed a phase-in period.

> >Should I not use a antibiotic to save a life today, just because it may
> risk another life in the future?  I am not quite qualified to make that
> statement.

That was never the question--you're guilty of a "straw man" argument.  It
is the prophylactic overuse of antibiotics that is the problem.

>        >   I am 100% sure resistant strains will continue.....

Evidence is to the contrary, as resistance often incurs a cost to fitness.

For our industry, one of the major honey packers has been making the point
that US honey is no longer the "cleanest" honey in the world.  He's had to
reject many loads due to antibiotic contamination.  All it is going to take
is for an investigative report on this to go viral to really hurt the honey
market.  Remember Alar?
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA