From:
Jason Bruns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:39:01 -0500
Less virulent varroa is not self-deception.  It is one of the valid
mechanisms for overcoming varroa.  That is just part of the checks and
balances of nature.  Over time extremely infective human diseases
(usually) become less virulent because it is a good survival strategy.
  If it is too virulent it is like the flu from America in the early
1900's it moves through and then is gone.  Do a little research as to
what syphilis used to be in the 1500's vs. what it is now.  It still is
a very nasty, but it's not the fast disfiguring killer it used to be.  I
have read articles in my pharmacy journals theorizing that the highly
adaptive HIV virus has become less virulent than what initially was
infecting people in the early 80's.  The more virulent strains died out
because they quickly disabled and killed the vector.  The strains that
were less virulent were passed on and evolution did it's job.

Varroa is made more and more virulent through our treatments just as
microbes causing human disease become more and more virulent through the
same mechanisms.  Look at what treating immuno-compromised patients for
gonococcus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis has done to those bugs over
the last 10-20 years.  As those infections get treated they adapt to the
point of not being treatable....  BY ANYTHING..   There is a lot more
money being put into research for human disease than into treatments of
varroa and I am telling you the future does not look good.  Do a google
search.  The mass media may not be talking about it, but the last ASHP
(American Society of Health-System Pharmacists) is.  The last week long
meeting I went to there were many meetings discussing the lack of drugs
in the pipeline.

The bigger/meaner (more virulent) they are the harder they fall. That is
why outbreaks of things like Ebola are devastating, but relatively short
lived/self limiting.

Valuing the individual hive over the species has caused this. Making the
choice to value the individual hive over the species as a whole is a
poor animal husbandry decision.  I contend those proposing anything but
the Bond method are deceiving themselves. There is no way to divine what
method bees will devise to overcome varroa, but if left alone they will
find away....... and it doesn't matter to me what that method is.  They
have been here a heck of a lot longer than us.  They have many tricks up
their sleeves.

I hope I live long enough to see the outcome of all of all this. Perhaps
all the treatment free people are wrong.  Time will tell......  Varroa
aren't going anywhere.  I believe there is no scenario where they are
just going to be gone as a result of anything we come up with... Both
beekeepers AND bees are going to have to find a way to live WITH them.
It is a foolish thing to think that only the STRONG survive and we need
a varroa resistant bee.  We need a varroa TOLERANT bee and a strain of
varroa that is less virulent.  It is more complex than just having a
varroa resistant bee.  As with most things....  we caused this
problem....  we just need to get out of the way so the bees can solve it.

Feral bees are finding ways to overcome varroa in my area....

Bob Dylan - You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind
blows.....

Jason Bruns

letmbee.com <http://letmbee.com>