From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:01:34 -0400
Can someone explain
what is going on in Calif now with crops coming in out of
tune with normal production schedules

Hi Dee
It's been a wild ride in Calif.  Right now I have a persimmon tree coming
back into bloom after having bloomed and lost fruit early this spring!  Our
normal nectar and pollen flows were topsy-turvy.  Manzanita started a month
early, and bloomed a month late.  Normal spring flows were nonexistent in
some areas, while at other elevations, at the same time, flooded colonies
with unexpected thin nectar to the extend that the queens couldn't lay.
Agricultural reports from the growers have all been question marks,
wondering how their crops will turn out.  The heat was tough, but in my
limited experience, strong colonies near water fared well.  Weak splits that
I moved to the Valley floor for safflower got hit hard--one died completely,
and the rest lost brood in the combs.  All seem to be recovering now, but
the bloom during the heat was compressed into a few days.  The bees missed
it, because all the were carrying was water.
The heat also affected soil moisture, which will likely have an effect on
star thistle and blue curl.  I don't know how late summer flows will be
affected.  I don't have many bees down in the Valley, so I hope another
beekeeper can answer your questions about the majority of Calif bees.
Randy Oliver