From:
"Bob St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 07:45:01 -1000
On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Gunnar Thygesen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Quote: We now have collected
>considerable evidence that he himself took pains to disavow such an
>assertion but somehow these went unheeded. Unquote. That was about the
>bee space. About the frames he made notes in his third edition of
>his book in preparation of the fourth edition which was never issued
>because of his illness. Langtroth intended to insert as a first paragraph
>to the introduction that he knew about Dr Bevan's work based upon Huber's
>work. Further he noted on page 15: Here state only Huber - Bevan - give
>some account of Munn and Debeauvoys - with plates etc etc. He also
>mentioned Dzierzon hive.
>But read the chapter because there is much more said by himself but
>too much to be quoted here, the chapter is on 10 pages.
>
>Regards Gunnar
>--- Terminate 4.00/Pro
>--
>| Internet: [log in to unmask]  (Fidonet: Gunnar Thygesen 2:235/15.32)
>| Micro Computer User Group  (MCUG)

After I wrote my first comment I got out my copy of " Hive and the Honeybee."
(1859 3rd edition) Inside I found a clipping I took from "Speey Bee" 10/97 that
said that Colvin build the first movable frame hive and he and Langstroth and
Wagner were building and selling hives from a factory near Baltimore.

Lanstroth talked more about the frame he put around his combs that he did the
bee space. Apparently, until his book the top bar hive was state-of-the-art and
it require cutting the sides of the comb loose each time it was removed.