From:
Andrew Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:04:25 +0100
Waldemar wrote
Ever try to blow smoke into the entrance of a hive in good shape to watch the smoke immediately blown back out by the bees?  It's amazing how fast they can respond this way.

Some time back I read that to harvest bees for packages to blast smoke in the entrance to drive bees up into the top box,the inner cover should be removed to allow through passage of the smoke.
I needed some bees for mini nucs so I tried this. The bees blew the smoke back out of the entrance, no smoke ever came out of the top box, three deeps!
Cheers Andy