From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 11:07:36 -0700
Lawrence Cooke wrote:

> One side of one frame has a patch of foul brood I think ... It may be
> the same frame I put into the upper brood box to encourage the bees to
> move up.. at the start of the season. I installed new patties today.
> Will this keep it in check or do I have a real problem on my hands.I've
> read , the old school would burn the hive..

        Your first line tells me you are not familiar with AFB. If you can get
someone local, who is familiar, to examine the hive you may be saved
alot of worry. I would not recomend trying to cure an AFB infection. It
has never been shown to be reliable. The risk is spreading the disease
to other colonies and incurring an even greater loss. This is especially
true for those not able to positivly identify the disease in the first
place.
        Is burning "old school" ? The only relavant research I am aware of
(Matheson in ABJ) showed that world wide, inspect and burn results in
the lowest incidence of AFB. I have discussed this with Dr. Shiminuki,
who has performed much research on AFB and TM,and he says burn.
        I know this is going to be an unpopular post because so many beekeepers
do not burn. Makes me wonder why we are asking for more research.