Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:07:19 -0400

> It does seem that syrup feeding in fall does not stimulate brood at all.
> but just one mans guess.(Charlie)

Bill, you're in a perfect position to look into that hive and let us know
> the answer.  Please do!  An ounce of observation in this case would be of
> more value than a pound of speculation.(Randy)

First, I tend to agree with Charlie.

I also like to do tests and trials so welcome Randy's request. since I am
sort of doing just that.

I am mentoring two beekeepers. One, whose bees are in good shape, will feed
until about the first killing frost..The other beekeeper has one colony
which is a non-starter since it will be dead early. He was away for a
lengthy time and could not keep up with what was going on with his hives.
My guess is skunks. We will look at it in detail at the weak hive when he
gets back next week.

The other has about 8 frames covered in the lower deep and about five solid
and two more less so(7) in the upper. I asked to check his bees and do what
was necessary to get them through the winter, hence my post when I saw its
condition.  I am feeding them for him and will continue to feed long after
the first killing frost and until it gets too cold for them to take
syrup.My guess is that will be another week to two weeks after the frost
.As an aside, the syrup has Clorox (1 tsp/gal) to preserve any that might
not be capped for a long as possible.

I never feed pollen or pollen subs any time in the year so that is not a
problem in the "trial".

One complication in this whole test is that I think the idea of the killing
frost as a trigger is incorrect. Ever since the question of what creates
the long lived bees came up I have been observing pollen sources in my
yard. We have about three acres by a "creek". Our creek is about two
hundred feet across but is tidal an about 5% salt water, so have open
water, marshland, open yard,uncut field, bushes and forest. Absolutely
perfect bird territory and bees like it too. Plenty of nectar and pollen
sources.

Since I have all those visuals, including a garden, flowering ornamentals,
and fruit trees, I look to see what the bees have to feed on and, well
before any frost, which we have not yet enjoyed, I noticed that the
flowering plants were shutting down. Pollen is still out there since I see
my bees bringing it in, but the amount has obviously diminished. So, my
guess is we are already in the long lived bee production period, which
makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Autumn leaves show up here as
if a switch is pulled. Within a week you go from green to every color in
the vibrant book. That is the same time I noticed a decrease in
pollen.Plants aren't stupid. They shut down before the cold kills them
while we endure it.

If I am right, the bees were and are already producing long lived bees. I
did not start feeding until several weeks after that.

So the results of anything I do will be inconclusive. But interesting.For
all the inquiring minds who want to know, will keep you appraised.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine