From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:05:42 -0700
I'm the bad apple in this bunch.  I inherited two apiaries in which the pollination was donated.  The contingency, upon receiving about a dozen hives for free, was to leave the hives and continue free pollination.  The hives are stationary.  The beekeeper was getting too busy with family stuff and knew I would take care of the bees and could be trusted to maintain the verbal contract.  Honey production is much more than any pollination fee could warrant with the time and energy of moving hives.

When I was approached by a grower about thirty miles away, I offered free pollination services in exchange for a corner of the field, 24/7/365 access and I got to keep all the honey.  The savings and wear and tear from not moving the hives (as I'm not set up with trailers and lifts, not to mention the PIA of moving hives under the cover of darkness) and the honey I harvested from some very productive locations was worth it.

Best yet, no one has under-cut me! I don't have the quibbling and negotiation of contracts, nor am I limited as to how many hives I can bring in.

Best of all worlds, IMO.

Grant
Jackson, MO