From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:09:43 -0700
>How do those lines
> developed by researcher are then comercialiced? Who does the masive
> reproduction and get the masive profit from those tens of queens developed
> out of tax money?

Don't know about massive profit, Juanse, but massive cash flow for sure!
The lines are generally supplied to private beekeeper Tom Glenn (Glenn
Apiaries) in Calif, and maintained by II.  He then sells II breeders
for a nominal cost to producers, who then graft tens of thousands of
queens off them.

However, the market, as Bob points out is dominated by the demand of
large commercial beeks.  Since most of them use miticides and
antibiotics as a matter of course, resistance to parasites is
secondary to production, buildup, and how purty they are (thanks,
Pete!).

Juanse, the queen producers that I've visited do an absolute top-notch
job at mass producing queens.  The lines that they breed from are
totally driven by market demand.

Randy Oliver