From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:45:40 -0500
Bob wrote:

> I have noticed that many of my bees are bringing in lots of pollen and that
> is a good thing.  The question I have is I also see bees bringing in sacks
> of red looking material.  I have seen some of this red matter mixed in some
> of the pollen cells or what I think is some of the red matter.  Can anyone
> tell me what this is?  I live in southeastern Ohio just incase it might be
> some sort of red pollen that someone knows of in this area.

  It is pollen.  Different pollens have different colors, depending on the
genetics of the floral source.  When I was collecting pollen commercially, I
was amazed at the rainbow hues: green, yellows, pinks, reds, browns, etc..
The worst color, however, was black.  There was some pitch black pollen that
looked almost like mouse turds.  One week every summer this stuff would come
in, comprising two thirds of the harvest.  I did sell it, however, and no one
seemed to be put off.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA