From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2017 16:18:30 -0500
BTW Charlie, there is no need to diss the "experts"--they often know much more than you may assume.

Please don’t spin, or misread Randy,  You of all people know how much respect I have for our experts.  That was sarcasm,  directed solely at several leaders and speakers that we both know.   If you read ABJ in the last year I would bet I can find a dozen references to "full sun and strong hives will solve the problem"

Even here, there have been some offhand comments,  not usually requesting photos or details.  So many speakers and Inspectors and group leaders spewing bad information.  It quite obvious  "I don’t know" is a phrase than many cannot say.  They choose to pass on rumors.  Internet experts  and small group leaders  are the main culprits,  and a couple of writers.   I do consider those here to be real experts. WE may discuss and debate and disagree,  but willing to partake in that shows leadership.

It is QUITE astounding how many people look at you like you left the dog tied to the bumper when you tell them you lose hives to beetles.  That has to change. As it stands now it seems to me we have wasted 2 seasons of exploring the problems on systemic denial. I find that very discouraging,  especially when Varro should be burned in our minds.

I could go on,  but please,  don't misread.  Dr. Ellis and several others have been very helpful and informative even you giving me grief and questioning, has driven me to reconfirm and document things so skeptics are fine.  Deniers  not so much.

I have tried the Pear oil,  and several fruits ( pinapple peaches, melons),  but next to a hive  they are zero good at pulling beetles.  Given a choice  beetles so far in my experiments  are quite targeted,  although  in 85degree weather the will be more apt to stay out of the hive in empty comb.  As it cools at night,  hive bound they try to be.

I mentioned last week they stay local if possible,  to put that in context  if you have a pallet with say 1 weak 2 normal and one strong hive,  they usually will destroy all 4 of those before moving 20 feet to another pallet.  Prefering to stay local and take down that strong hive as opposed to moving 20 feet for an easier target.  I find that peculiar,  but pretty consistant.

I would love to track down the guys who invented the Jap beetle lure.  I suspect that type of lure would work for SHB also if you could keep it warm.  So much to do,  so little time.

It seems the Hobby people get hit the hardest,  a few hives here and there,  they don’t check as often as a rule,  and are caught unaware.  MO and SC  have been hit hard this year.  I suspect that migratory beeks are staying one step ahead for the most part,  but I also suspect that the beetle bombs left put the mite bombs to shame.  I think when a migratory guy leaves a yard with light infestation,  local feral hives get wiped.  No proof,  just strong suspicion.

Finally finished honey today,  I would estimate that in the last 45 days we have killed enough beetles here in the honey house to fill a 5 gallon bucket.  So far this season has been much better than last.  I am a bit more emotionally prepeared, as well as many things I have done to reduce the impact.  I would guess this yeas loss is less that 5% to actual beetles,  although  it does appear infested yards produced 1/3 less honey. As I suspected the stress of beetle infestation is restricting growth.

Charles