From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2014 22:21:26 -0500
> The photo is too small for me to ID.

Here's a much higher-rez version of that photo:
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Images/22363/New%20Scientist%20Top%20
Ten%20%20Hanging%20out%20lunch_big.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/nx2uezt

I'd love to hear from an expert, but the files above do not look to me like
the images below provided with the paper "A New Threat to Honey Bees, the
Parasitic Phorid Fly Apocephalus borealis"
http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0029639

png format image:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029639.g002/la
rgerimage
http://tinyurl.com/kt99bsa

Much, much higher-rez tiff format:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029639.g002/or
iginalimage
http://tinyurl.com/m9ds5ng

Tiffs are easy to view with the free http://Alternatiff.com tiff image
viewer plug-in for your web browser.

We need lots of photos of any beastie that bothers our bees.  One of the
biggest setbacks with varroa was that years were wasted looking at the wrong
varroa (raise a glass to Dennis Anderson who set everyone straight).  To
this day, some reference materials that should be authoritative still
confuse Varroa destructor with Varroa jacobsoni.  Try googling "Varroa
jacobsoni", and you'll still see nice photos of destructor.  The best
comparison photo I've ever seen is
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/II/varroa/2/3/2