From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:03:22 -0400
>>bee patient. A wet spring is good. Once the temps climb your flow will
start. The key is 70F. and higher  temps at night.

I was glad to see a wet spring here after severe drought.  However, the
honey production was a washout as we had frequent rainfall during the major
nectar flows in April and May from tree blooms.  The tulip poplar and other
tree blooms were a washout due to frequent rain this year.

We generally have cool nights until  later in May when the nectar flow from
trees is pretty well gone.  I need strong colonies early and just the right
ventilation to produce big honey crops.  I was interested to note the
comment regarding 70F night temps.  I wonder if that may apply more to
floral sources vs trees.  I see dutch white clover blooming here at least a
month before the bees start working it heavily.  My observation is they
don't work it much until the daytime temperatures get over 80F.  I thought
perhaps reason was the higher temps influenced nectar sugar content.  With
drought last year it did not produce.  This year with good subsoil moisture
and dry, not too hot weather the bees are still working clover, about 3
weeks longer than what I've observed in past years.  Other observation is
that day/night temps over 90F here shuts down most summer nectar flows
fairly quickly. When summer heat hits here in 90's not much honey is
produced by my bees.

My location is Atlanta, GA