From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:09:19 -0400
>I also had laying workers in two hives this year. Both came as third
>generation from the same line of queens, and I suspect that inbreeding
>may be the culprit. I'm ordering queens from as far away as possible to
>try to vary the gene pool. Anyway, when this happened a seasoned

I have a real problem with correcting people, but  'inbreeding' has little
of nothing to do with your problem.
        Laying workers are caused, if you wish, by the bee keeper. The hive
goes queenless for whatever reason, then ulitmately laying workers are the
outcome. If we keep a track of the queen state of a hive, and requeen as
soon as the queen is lost, then the hive stays productive.
        Good in theory, but hard in practice. I know I had a hive go laying
worker, and this morning I found a hive with only a few workers and what
seemed like millions of drones. Good gene pool so I wasn't too disgusted
with myself !!!
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
ON. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone (705) 326 7171
Fax      (705) 325 3461
David Eyre. Owner.