From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:16:39 -0700
Scott asks, "What crops do you pollinate....?"
The grower rotates his crops, and I have five locations all within a couple of miles as the crow flies from each other.  Some years he lets things go fallow and it's really weedy (not that I'm complaining).  Some years it's strawberries under plastic, then he rotates sweet corn, melons of all kinds, tomatoes, cukes...and surrounding fields have soybeans, wheat and corn, mostly irrigated.  Corn and wheat don't do anything.  The soil is extremely sandy, and as it's the old flood plain of the Mississippi River, everything is tiled, drained, then irrigated.  No, doesn't make much sense to me either.
The number of hives runs from 12 to 24.  One yard has 36.  My hives stands hold 4 hives so everything is in units of four.  We take off a nice crop of early honey in late May with lots of black locust (grows in the fence rows like weeds).  A good colony will give me two supers, roughly 60#.  Things slow down in June and July, then the local soybeans come into play and we may gather another three supers by Labor Day.
They spray a lot of crap in this area, aerial applications.  I can't do much about it.  Hives seems to be okay despite the sprays.  I use formic for mites and generally feed in the fall with HBH.  The early spring in this part of the state doesn't warrant spring feeding.