From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:02:05 -0400
> There was no mention in the study of
> queens becoming drone layers.

Quoting the paper:
"Regardless of whether they survived to four weeks, 38% fewer neonicotinoid
queens produced workers compared to controls..."

If a queen does not produce workers, it produces drones.
Many beekeepers would call that queen a "drone layer".

> I've now had the chance to discuss the paper at length with the author...
> We've discussed the shortcomings in the original design of the
experiment...

> The unfortunate result is that no conclusions can be legitimately drawn
> regarding any direct effect on the queens, and the title of the paper is
> misleading (and inappropriately worded for sensationalism).

Despite being worded as declarative statements, the above is opinion, and
not the opinion of the authors of the paper, the reviewers of that paper,
the editors of the esteemed "Nature" journals, or the readers of that
journal, who have declined to write outraged letters to the editor about the
paper.

I expect that the paper will stand as-is, and that the critiques offered
here are based upon one or more misunderstandings of the relevant facts, as
such basic and severe problems would not escape review or the editorial
process.