From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:27:26 -0700
>> Environmental impacts appear to be positive during the first ten years of Bt crop use (1996-2005). One study concluded that insecticide use on cotton and corn during this period fell by 35.6 million kg of insecticide active ingredient

It is my opinion that GMO's are not a black or white issue.  Although
the amount of pesticide saved is commendable, this paragraph does not
say whether the same amount could have been saved by simply spraying
Bt spores, or other management techniques.

One problem is that Bt crops simply put us back onto a treadmill
similar to the pesticide treadmill.  It will likely only be a matter
of time until Bt-resistant pests evolve, due to the massive plantings
of Bt crops.  Once that happens, natural Bt spores will no longer be
of use to organic farmers.

The problem is matter of scale.  We tend to overdo everything.  If we
used only limited amounts of Bt crops, then a balance might be reached
that would allow "natural" Bt to be still used effectively.

Randy Oliver