From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 06:21:27 -0700
I woke up at 4:30am and could not get back to sleep thinking about the
person who purchased a fogger to treat with mineral oil. The reason I
could not sleep is that I had to kill my first hive because the hive I
bought had AFB. Late in the evening, after all the bees were in the
hive, I plugged up all the holes and poured a cup of gas down the inner
cover hole and closed the hive up. I will never forget the noise that
came from the hive. It is hard even writing this now, remembering.
I am very concerned about using a fogger to dispense mineral oil. At
first glance, it sounds like an easy way to dispense the oil. But recent
posts, which got very angry replys, told us of angry and dead bees after
applying "too much" oil using a honey bear as directed, make me wonder
if we are heading for disaster using a fogger.
First, if "too much" oil can kill, where is the advice from the
proponets of oil on how to apply it with a fogger. I know it is untrod
ground, but any high school math grad could figure out application rates
based on the amounts presently used. You need to know the fogger rate
and from that you can get the max time of the fogging. My guess is that
it will be in the seconds range. My other guess is that it will be over
applied if ther is no advice, and the gentleman who is trying this will
kill his bees. I do not want him to go through what I did. They know it
when the hive is dying.
I would hope the proponets of the oil treatment would step in and  make
this a little more scientific than just- go for it. At least for the
sake of the bees.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME