From:
Steve Andison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:03:55 -0900
Hello BeeKeepers:

A few days ago I administered 46 therapeutic bee stings. My wife received 44
of those, and I endured the balance.
Another spring begins... but this is the first one I've started with a bunch
of bees in my back yard.

I believe that I'm going to emerge from the deep snow with a hive in pretty
good shape,
(Knock on super).I'm a novice and very new beekeeper with these goals and
priorities in mind:

1) Apitherapy- Year round medicinal use of bees
2) A good, and hopefully stress relieving hobby
3) A study site for me to learn about beekeeping in northern climates

I am going to need help from some of you seasnoned veterans.

I can use any and all advice on starting up bee colonies.

I live in Southeast Alaska (the section that borders Canada's west) and need
to keep bees healthy year round. Bears have not been a problem this year, at
least where I live.

Questions:

1) Can you recommend some good entry level and intermediate beekeeping books?

2) Where would I find the closest supplier of beekeeping equipment?

3) I would like to identify a good source of bees; preferably a Canadian stock
with some promise for being resistant to the normal pathogens that do them in
in northern climates. But any healthy stock (that would not transport problems
with them to my existing bees) will do. Can you connect me with the right people?

4) Would any of you "Yoda" types consider helping me construct a simple and
semi significant confidence interval protocol to study three small colonies
with varied amounts of environmental control?

Much thanks and best regards

Steve

Steve Andison
<BR>Alaska Resource Economic Development (ARED)
<BR>(907) 790-2111
<BR>Fax: 907-790-1929
</BODY>
</HTML>