Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:49:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Hello all,

There has been some discussion on the handling of Checkmite. Although we have discussed this in the past it may be good to think about it again. First let me say that Checkmite is a useful tool, but is not like anything else we (legally) handled as beekeepers.  You don't want to come in contact with this stuff.  When I do use it I have a method that keeps the possibility of contact very low.  I will describe that in a second but first I should clarify something.  I have worked in the chemical industry for 25 years.  Not only have I worn protective gloves, I have been in the entire suit (when I was young and dumb) responding to hazardous materials emergencies.  As a "survivor" I now teach and tell the "younger guys" what to do.  Now that you know I work in one of least trusted industries in the world I might as well give you one more fact.  I author (for my company) Material Safety Data Sheets. Information found on MSDSs  has caused many discussions on this list over the years.  (I could spend hours talking about MSDSs and what they really say.)  I only relay this information in order to show that I am somewhat qualified to speak on this subject.

The first time I was applying the strips I used the required gloves to handle them.  Immediately I noticed some problems with this method.  In my area mite treatments are applied in August or early September, usually the hottest time of the year.  Wearing any type of glove in these conditions is very uncomfortable.  This is an important statement.  When I teach hazmat there is a section on personal protection.  I always start with a quote from Robert Browning.  "A man in armor is a slave to that armor".  If you are uncomfortable, you tend to rush and do things without thinking.  You also tend to rely too much on the armor.  To illustrate this watch someone who works bees completely suited up.  Then ask them to remove some of their protection or at least their gloves.  Nine times out of ten, they will work much more carefully because of their "loss of armor".

The other main problem is the outside of the glove is contaminated.  We make a lot of unconscious movements with our hands. ANYTHING you touch with these gloves is now also contaminated.  Hive tool, smoker, paint leg, pockets are all things we may contact.  I noticed this with my smoker.  There was visible residue on the bellows.   Unless you are going to open each hive, stop to put on the gloves and add the strips, and then immediately remove them without touching anything else, you are going to spread contamination.  Most of us are not that disciplined.

The method I use is to decide how many strips I will need for a given number of colonies.  Working outdoors and wearing gloves I open the packets and remove the strips.  I then place them in an appropriate, properly labeled container that has a lid.  I make sure all the "hinges" on the strips are loose and nothing is stuck together.  I can then wash (decontaminate) the gloves and remove them.  When I am at a colony that is to be treated I use long handled pliers to grab a strip from the container an place it in the correct spot.  I still wear gloves for this operation but the chances of contact has been greatly reduced.  The pliers are stored in a pouch taped to the container.  These materials all get washed at the end of the day.  To remove strips I just reverse the process.  The goal is not to rely on the gloves as your primary defense, but to use them as a back up to good procedures.

One last point.  I have worked with some very nasty chemicals over the years.  I treat them all the same: WITH RESPECT.  I learned that as long as you respect them you can handle them safely. The key is knowledge and common sense.  I long for the day when we won't need all these chemicals, but until then we need to handle them correctly and follow all the directions.

Ron

Disclaimer time:  The above comments are mine and do not reflect those of my employer.

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, (eastern) PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2