From:
"Jeffrey R. Hills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:47:52 -0400
"Like to know more. Such as what are your management practices, location, type
bees, beekeepers in area ... "

OK ... and not presuming to give the experts any advice.

I'm in SW Vermont.
There are four or five hives about a mile from me - nothing "commercial"
anywhere near.
I don't trust package bees - I don't buy them.
I get my queens from breeders in Vermont and New Hampshire.
I like to split strong hives.
It try to leave them more honey for the winter than they need, rather than
take too much and then feed them sugar.
It's always mid- or late-winter when one of my hives fails.  Looks like
lack of food, generally.
I remove any comb that is getting dark because I think that invites disease.
Most of my new comb is built on a frame with half a sheet of foundation or
no foundation.
Everything is clean inside and out.  No peeling paint.
Except for a little chalkbrood every once in a while, I am not aware of any
disease problems, ever.