From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:33:19 -0700
Should you ever advance to using a pressure washer, I would recommend you do
an initial wash down with cold water.   Provided you do a timely clean up,
this works very well.  Save the hot for your final rinse.  When a number of
us in this region started using "Hotsy" or their like washers we found out
quickly how susceptible to the semi-liquid wax bearings were.  I was amazed
where the wax would penetrate under a little pressure.  These washers keep
you on top of your maintenance; i.e. keeping things well greased.

As an aside, when I mentioned this to my brother-in-law, a
machinist/pipefitter he wasn't shocked at all.  He swears that many in those
trades, especially the older ones or those trained outside North America,
use beeswax on a reqular basis to brake joints, etc. It'll beat
"Nutcracker", "CRC", "WD40", etc hands down.  The bolts or joints are heated
and beewax applied.  When things are cool enough to handle, you torque them
apart and burn off the remaining wax.  He claims it got him work a few years
ago on a Power Plant upgrade.  Some young bucks had been four days trying to
disassemble part of a generator.  The Foreman told him if he got things
apart by the end of the shift (3 hours) he had a job. The guy then laughed
and walked away.  Well 2 hours later, Jim had a job for the next 20 months.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB