From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:33:33 -0400
At the risk of being the odd man out, I hasten to point out that beekeepers are not compelled to put their hives in proximity to agriculture. They can opt to produce honey from wild plants only and market it as such.

On the other hand, if they are pollinating for hire, they should try to leverage their position as essential crop pollinators and get concessions from the farmers, insisting that chemicals that are *potentially harmful* to bees not be used.

Notice, I say potentially. In terms of proof, this is not needed. If the beekeeper has a concern about the chemical, this is what is important in this case.

Market pressures are often capable of driving the changes we desire. If there is a demand for non-ag honey, that could drive the price upward.

If beekeepers demand a safe environment for their colonies, those needing pollination will have to provide it or find some other way to pollinate.

Fact is, almond growers are already developing self-pollinating varieties. The cost/benefit of disposable pollination units has also been explored.

PLB