Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:56:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Peter,

Your assertion -I often hear that "queens don't last as long as they used to."- was also quite common during the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. There is nothing new about it. 

I have checked early editions of both Bee Culture and the American Bee Journal. The period between the two world wars matched the huge development of both the package bee industry and commercial queen rearing in the USA. 

Unhappy northern customers complaining about poor queen quality and early supersedure of southern queens was widespread during those 30 years. You can read plenty of articles and letters to the editor about this subject.

I presume at that time Nosema apis was indeed a major problem for queen breeders. Fumagilling was only launched during the middle of the 1950's so there were not effective treatments 60 years ago. Our present Nosema ceranae has no incidence whatsoever in queen quality.

Current queen quality problems are associated with pesticide pollution inside the breeding colonies, stressfull pollination management after introduction and untimely varroa treatments during or slightly prior to queen introduction.

If you want to secure a long-lasting queen, the best you can do is to have varroa treatments finished at least 15 days  before introduction or wait at least 20 days after introduction to start your treatment.

Sincerely,

Martin Braunstein
www.malkaqueens.com

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2