From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:40:18 +0000
I said:  So a few comments on your post.  First, a remark by Dick jogged my memory on biochemistry.  I think it is very unlikely that a second binding site will appear among IMI metabolites. It is possible, however, to make the existing one bind more aggressively to the receptor.

I realize this may be unclear.  When I used the analogy of the car driving down the road and losing parts at forks (Dick's original) and said modifications were made at each fork that add as well as subtract atoms/compounds to the parent compound (we're talking here about IMI), this means that there is one binding site on the original IMI and it persists through some of the subsequent metabolites, until eventually the body figures out how to break it down, but often the original binding site is not only retained, it obtains a greater affinity for the acetylcholine receptor...as the papers we've been reading clearly show.  So I think it is unlikely that at any step of the metabolism of IMI a *second* binding site will appear on an additional product.  Does that make better sense?

Christina