From:
"Glen B. Glater" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen B. Glater
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:17:01 -0400
Info:  My hives are in Massachusetts, 20 mi. west of Boston.

I checked my hives this weekend and one has a *FULL* medium and *FULL*
shallow on it.

The other has 3 shallows, none of which seem to be full yet.  There is
nectar in frames in all of them, but not capped honey yet.

I was going to add another shallow to the one with the full supers.
When I called my beekeeping supply person, her answering machine said:

"Don't add supers in August."

Now, I've always heard the CW to be that since there is no honey flow
in this region during the summer, there was no reason to put on
additional supers.

On the other hand, I don't see what it could hurt, since there is a
lot of purple loostrife in flower here now...

So, my question is:  Can I harm this hive by adding a shallow honey
super to the top of all this?  It will have to be frames/foundation,
since I don't have any drawn comb for them...

Thanks.

--glen