Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 10:26:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
David please don't take my comments personally. Its never fun to hear about someone elses loss and I have had my share of winter losses too and know what its like to start over with half an operation on borrowed money. 

When Eric Mussen voices doubts about the viability of winter pollination he just verified what is common sense in my book. Look around agriculture and what do you see but systems stressed to the breaking point. Lots of preventative use of antibiotics and a heavy dependence on chemicals. Its no different in Migratory Beekeeping. 

My comments are meant as a discussion of what is wrong with beekeeping and agriculture in the USA. Bobs initial post I replied to suggested its doom and gloom for the industry and its a mystery why.

I am offering an opposing view of the industry.  How many hives this winter crashed due to CCD symptoms as Jerry suggests or how many crashed from natural occurrences as Mussen infers?  Considering the reliance of preventative antibiotic use, frequent miticide apps and heavy feeding required for successful feedlot beekeeping, I would suggest all these  "inputs" just create multiple opportunities which when combined could hasten a "natural occurrence" across an operation when done in conjunction with tinkering with brood raising in mid winter. 

Why would we think every combination of yearly weather fluctuations acorss the nation and beekeeper practices will work out perfectly and miracuously everyone has bees doing what they are not supposed to be doing in February? Is this a self made crisis? or an across the board honeybee disaster?  I think not...and that's my point.

I don't have to point out the perils and risks of migratory beekeeping and to those who choose that lifestyle I wish you the best of luck.  I don't see the evidence though that all honeybees are in danger worldwide and across the board in management styles. The internet and media have created a crisis out of every day events that gee whiz 50% of the time have a negative outcome so any honeybee losses are now front page news. 

I won't deny the evidence of CCD that crosses management styles. Since the data apparently is never going to exist though that identifies the scope and breadth of CCD, we all are left with our own opinions and observations as to the cause and so called frequency or severity of this poorly understood affliction. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2